[Therion] therion 5.3.16

Stacho Mudrak lists at group-s.sk
Tue Dec 30 11:09:46 CET 2014

Hi Wookey, thanks a lot for your comments.

1) Makefile and loch/Makefile (at least, maybe more) have been
> converted from unix to DOS linefeeds. Thus breaking the patches. Was
> that just an accident due to an over-enthusiastic editor? Is it going
> to stay like that or can we agree whether the release is
> DOS-throughout or unix throughout? (it's now a mix).

It is an error. It should be fixed in the updated archive on the server.

I see that the whitespace patch which fixed up a load of inconsistent
> tab/space breakage has also not been applied:
> therion-5.3.12-whitespace.patch

I would like to fix it in the next release, together with all compiler
warnings.

> 2) A couple of files are included that should not be:
> samples/us.stackdump
> thdb1d.cxx.orig
> thbook/etc/contents.tex (that's a generated file, right?)
> (this last was also in 5.3.15 so is not a regression)

Again errors. With exception of contents.txt - it is regenerated every
time, but I am not sure, whether it can be removed.

> 3) You have indeed included several of the debian patches (much
> appreciated),
> but the upstream fixes in 20debianise-makefiles.patch have not been
> included:
> (all in 'Makefile')
>
> therion needs to be built before the samples can build:
> -samples: $(OUTDIR)/samples.doc/index.tex
> +samples: $(OUTDIR)/samples.doc/index.tex therion
>
> windres does not exist on non-windows platforms (maybe macos?)
> +ifeq ($(THPLATFORM),WIN32)
>  $(OUTDIR)/therion.res: therion.rc
>                         windres -i therion.rc -J rc -o
> $(OUTDIR)/therion.res -O coff
> +endif
>
> all the thTMPDIRs from the build need cleaning, not just the top one:
> +   perl makefile.pl rmdir -q thTMPDIR samples/*/thTMPDIR
> samples/*/*/thTMPDIR
> (that could be a find . -name thTMPDIR instead if you preferred a more
> general solution)
>
> (I couldn't see this being fixed anywhere else, but maybe it has been?)

I will update this in the next release.

> other patches not applied. Are there reasons why not?
> * 82-nolang-segfault-fix.patch  (this avoids a genuine error case of
> language not being defined)

I believe, this error is already fixed. Are you able to reproduce it with
current version of therion?

> * 90load-extensionless-files.patch (fixes bug reported on this list a
> while back)

This needs to be done.

* 2 hunks of fix-compiler-warnings.patch was applied, but not the other 19.
> Any reason?

No reason for that, will try to do it in the near future.

The remaining patches/hunks are debian-specific

> Anyway packaging now updated and 5.3.16-1 uploaded to
> experimental. (5.3.15-1 need to stay in unstable until the Debian
> Freeze for the upcoming stable release is over, so new versions go in
> experimental)
>
> Feedback welcome, as ever.

Thanks again, S.