[Therion] map-bg transparent

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Wed Sep 12 10:47:08 CEST 2012

It is a long time since I made use of transparent map backgrounds, and on
trying just now I think it is no longer working (at least in 5.3.10, 5.3.9
and maybe earlier versions I get white backgrounds instead).

Or perhaps I am making a silly mistake?

I thought the problem might be the same as the bug in 5.3.5 when this
feature was first introduced

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.therion/2349/match=map+bg+transparen

but it seems I get opaque white backgrounds with either syntax.

within an explicitly defined layout;

layout LayoutMapBulmer_System

  colour map-bg transparent

endlayout LayoutMapBulmer_System

or as part of the export map command;

export map   -projection [elevation 270 deg] \

  -layout LayoutMapBulmer_System             \

  -layout LayoutMapBulmer_SystemElev       \

  -layout-colour map-bg transparent   \

  -output ./Output/MapBeautBulmerLate08System_Elev.pdf

You can test this by creating a pdf map with a transparent background and
inserting it into another map with 'map-image'.

Does anyone else find that transparent backgrounds are not working?