[Therion] Mine sybols?

Cooper, Ben ben.cooper at siemens.com
Wed Dec 12 22:01:01 CET 2007

Hi Christian,
I've a couple of additions for you below.  I also stumbled on the following references that may be of interest.
[1] http://www.aditnow.co.uk/dictionary/mining-dictionary.aspx
[2] http://xmlwords.infomine.com/xmlwords.htm
Regards,
- Ben

2.  Winze?  (a shaft that only goes down from a level with no
corresponding shaft up to the surface).  Pronounced similar to English "wins".

> > > 3. Weather (ventile) door / Wettertür
> > 3. I've not heard of Weather Door!  Do you mean a door to
> seal the mine and
> > stop a draught, or a door specifically to allow a draught?
> "Ventile"
> > suggests the latter.  The more straightforward English noun
> is just "vent"
> > or "Vented Door".
>
> Well, a door to regulate air flow: Flow when opened, no flow
> when closed.
> Sorry for translating 'by the word': In the mining sense
> 'Wetter' means air
> and air flow in a mine.

Well, an "air-lock" stops air flow, so perhaps air-lock or air-lock door, or even, given your explanation, Weather Door is OK!  In a cave, we use the UK word "draught" (or US "draft") , which has several meanings, including the flow of air.
So perhaps "draught door"...?

> > > 4. Doorway (for supporting) / Türstock (standing and ruined)
>
> Two side posts and a supporting beam above both for
> supporting the ceiling.
>
> > > 5. Where ore was mined / Abbau (up and down)
> > Stope?  I think a stope is a specific type of space
> (step-like), so may not
> > be generic enough?
>
> I also think so.
>
> > > 6. Hole for rolling ore downwards / Rolloch
> > ?
>
> Well, a narrow shaft from a place where ore was mined to the
> galley beneath,
> in which the ore was thrown so it could be easier collected
> and loaded below.
> Symbol should be perhaps alike to shaft, but a bit differentiated.
>
> > > 7. Wagon rolling planks / Hundbretter
> > I guess this are placed sideways rather than lengthwise?
> If lengthwide,
> > then I suppose they are a form of "rail" or "track"?
>
> Yes. The wagon 'Hund' was steered with a nail which griped
> into the space
> between the planks. Look eg here:
> <http://silberbergwerk-suggental.de/fileadmin/bergwerk/bilder/
> galerie/Arbeit_unter_Tage/1024_Arbeit_unter_Tage_13.jpg>
> (That's 'our' mine, and me, by the way:).) You see?
>
> > > 8. Hand driven wind / Haspel
> > 8. Windlass
>
> Good!
>
> > > 9. Chamber for hand driven wind / Haspelkammer
> > 9. Winding Room (but this suggests to my ear a man-made
> room, with powered
> > machinery.  Question for English speaking miners: would
> there be "winding
> > room" underground?) or "Windlass Chamber" is descriptive
> but perhaps not
> > very meaningful...?
>
> perhaps just 'windlass chamber' would be the best fit, I think.
>
> > > 10. Water flowing gutter / Gerinne
> > 10.  just "Gutter"?, or perhaps do you mean "Leat" which is
> a mining term
> > for a man-made water course (Gerinne = coagulate, suggests
> bringing waters
> > together...so I wonder whether there is a specific mining
> phrase in English
> > for this...?)
>
> Yes, then 'leat' would be the word! 'Gerinne' comes flor
> 'rinnen' = flowing
> slowly.
>
> > > 11. Lamp niche / Lampennische
> > Sounds OK to me...?
>
> Ok!
>
> > > 12. Upraise / Aufhauen
> > ?
>
> The opposite to 'Gesenk', but up, not down. A kind of blind
> shaft to search
> for ore above the galley ceiling, but not connected to the
> galley above.

Could be a "rise" (or US "raise").  Note both a winze and a rise can connect levels, but I understand that this is not always the case.

> > > 13. Galley end (constr. end) / Ortsbrust
> > ?
>
> Well, where the old miners ceased to drive the galley
> forward. If wanted I
> will send an example picture.
>
> > > 14. Hewn material / Versatz
> > 14.  Spoil?  I think spoil usually refers to waste material
> that is mined
> > out.
>
> Not quite. 'Versatz' means usually hewn-out rock (oreless)
> filled into an old
> galley to prevent cave-in (hehehe, _cave_-in), or into a
> shaft, or just lying
> around.

Waste rock is used in [1].
"Deads" is a stack of waste rock, not necessarily to stop a cave-in.