[Therion] Mine sybols?

Cooper, Ben ben.cooper at siemens.com
Fri Dec 7 12:35:18 CET 2007

Hi Christian,
We need somebody with mining experience to get some of the technical English phrases correct, but here are are few suggestions for improved English.  I'm not precious about any of these, so other English speakers: feel free to contradict!  A question mark means that I think there is a technical English mining phrase, but I can't think of it at the moment.

> 1. Shaft / Schacht (up and down).
Yes

> 2. Sinking (?) / Gesenk
2. Sink

> 3. Weather (ventile) door / Wettertür
3. I've not heard of Weather Door!  Do you mean a door to seal the mine and stop a draught, or a door specifically to allow a draught?  "Ventile" suggests the latter.  The more straightforward English noun is just "vent" or "Vented Door".

?

> 5. Where ore was mined / Abbau (up and down)
Stope?  I think a stope is a specific type of space (step-like), so may not be generic enough?

?

> 7. Wagon rolling planks / Hundbretter
I guess this are placed sideways rather than lengthwise?  If lengthwide, then I suppose they are a form of "rail" or "track"?  But I don't know if there is a specific mining phrase for wooden planks for rolling trucks over.

> 8. Hand driven wind / Haspel
8. Windlass

> 9. Chamber for hand driven wind / Haspelkammer
9. Winding Room (but this suggests to my ear a man-made room, with powered machinery.  Question for English speaking miners: would there be "winding room" underground?)
    or "Windlass Chamber" is descriptive but perhaps not very meaningful...?

> 10. Water flowing gutter / Gerinne
10.  just "Gutter"?, or perhaps do you mean "Leat" which is a mining term for a man-made water course (Gerinne = coagulate, suggests bringing waters together...so I wonder whether there is a specific mining phrase in English for this...?)

> 11. Lamp niche / Lampennische
Sounds OK to me...?

?

?

> 14. Hewn material / Versatz
14.  Spoil?  I think spoil usually refers to waste material that is mined out.

> 15. Versturz
15. Collapse?

> 16. Special tool traces / Werkzeugspuren
16. Tool marks

Regards,
- Ben