[Therion] Geological features

Martin Lüthi luethi at vaw.baug.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 6 12:35:23 CET 2007

Stacho

Stacho Mudrak writes:
 > Quoting Martin Lüthi <luethi at vaw.baug.ethz.ch>:
 > > The Therion / Loch ensemble is very impressive. Something I would like
 > > to do but don't know whether that is implemented, or would be easy to
 > > implement: geologic features. By this term I mean adding strike/dip data
 > > from fault planes, fold axes or layering to the input files. Then in
 > > Loch these planes would show up as planes cutting through the
 > > galleries.
 >
 > Well, this is not yet implemented, but as far as I remember, you are not the
 > first one asking for these features. I think, it would not be very difficult to
 > implement it, but there are some technical issues, that need to be solved
 > first.

I just implemented the reading part, which of course is trivial.

 > 1. What data needs to be stored. So far I see: feature type (falut, layering,
 > fold axes?), srike and dip

And feature designation (e.g. "Kieselkalk")

 > 2. Where exactly would you like to enter these data. Maps or centerline or
 > both?

Centerline. The measurements would have to be referenced to
well-defined points in the cave, maybe at the end of extra legs.

 > 3. How to plot these data. Are there any standard symbols for these types of
 > measurements, that can be used in the map? In the 3D: how to construct these
 > planes? Each measurement will be single small plane? Have you already seen some
 > 3D models like this, that could be used as a template? Some time ago I have
 > tried something similar, but it was not very successful - my 3D model was a
 > mess of planes, in which it was very difficult to see what is what.

In 2D maps there is the standard geologist strike/dip symbol that
looks like a T, with the bar in the plane, and the leg pointing in the
direction of steepest descent.

How to construct these planes in 3D is not exactly obvious. My guess
is that using sqares or disks intersecting the tubes would be easiest
to implement. These planes would just be rims around the tubes. Colors
would be given based to feature designation (all "Kieselkalk" is blue,
all "fault1" is red....).

BTW: I have thrown together a therion-mode for Emacs (ripped out
python-mode) which makes editing *.th files easier, and C-c C-c run
therion. I'll still have to implement "jump to error" as in cc-mode.
If someone is interested I can post it here.

Best, Martin