.ini files install

Roman Muñoz tatel at infonegocio.com
Fri Mar 4 09:42:56 CET 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:39:56 +0100
Stacho Mudrak <s.m at speleo.sk> wrote:

>> 1. If installation will overwrite these files - than user will loose
>> it's settings.

I think we could check for the files. If they exist in rigth places, we
could assume they are good, so install script a) does nothing b) rename
them to .bkp (or .new, as suggested by Ladislav) -no settings are
loosed.

BTW, why the files can be on so many directories? I think they should be
under /etc on *nix and under Program files\therion on windows. It would
be simpler.

May be Wookey, as debian developer, knows it better. I found some debian
packages who ask when detected user-edited configuration files, (but at
this moment I can't remember which ones)

If this is a matter of shell scripting, I could work on it.

>> 2. If it will not overwrite them, plain user will not have ability to
>> set up new things.

I'm missing something here. What things couldn't be edited? Or, do you
mean that install will ask things to set good values?

Regards,
Roman