feedback on 0.2.18

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 17:36:49 CET 2004

+++ Stacho Mudrak [04-02-27 16:39 +0100]:

>> We've changed the behaviour of "select" command. If there is

OK, thanx

>> You've probably not noticed "Show" button in the area control :)))

Ah, yes - that's better, although it would still be good if an 'area' search
'pushed' this button automatically then it would seem like searching for
other items (they highlight when found).

>> This behaviour I "can not" change (I was also wondering). This is
>> because of BWidgets. You have to move "underlined cursor" to desired
>> position and press "Space". I'll look at it.

ah - another useful key. Here's a thing for the wishlist - add a list of
keys to the help menu - that would help users a lot as they are easy to
forget.

>> ... and in the new version, if the rock border will be closed-line
>>  - it will be filled with background color and overlap all items below.
>> Like this, you'll be able to draw rocks on some area (sand, debris, water) also.

ahh - excellent.

>> OK, I've added it into output en_UK translation (to the legend). It
>> would be also very easy to add it into input parsing table, but I'm not
>> sure, whether it makes sense (a lot of equivalents can lead to chaos).
>> You have to decide (at least, we support centreline/centerline so I
>> think pitch/pit could be also supported, because pitch is quite
>> important. But I'm not sure about popcorn (cauliflowercalcite in UIS
>> signatures :)) or other items like that...

You are right that this is tricky.

Normally it would be best to say 'the format is the format' and it's only in
one language. However in this application a lot of the spelling and syntax
is exposed to the user (entering options for example), so 'foreign'
spellings are a problem (I remember once spending hours wondering why
<CENTRE> didn't work in my HTML - it has to be <CENTER>, of course). Therion
users are likley to have similar problems but I agree that trying to enter
every translation into the syntax is a mistake. Some of the UIS names are a
bit odd to any english speaker - they are 'swiss english'  :-)

Allowing alternatives for 'really common' items probably makes sense, but no
more, and hiding things behind translatable widgets is also a good idea in
this context.

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/ play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/