[Therion] linux and distoX

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Sep 23 14:37:53 CEST 2016

On 2016-09-22 20:52 +0200, cawa.sorix at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I look for a software to use a distoX on linux, I found for windows,
> android, but nothing on linux.
> Do you know if a linux soft exist ?

Sort-of. The situation is not great. You can download, but not calibrate, in my experience.

There are two bits of software, both a bit half-arsed.

dxtool by Mateusz Golicz, simple tool to download distoX data. This
summer Olly Betts patched it to work on a distoX2. A preliminary
version of that patch is included in my dxtool version at:
http://wookware.org/software/repo/pool/main/d/dxtool/
A better one is stuck on a machine that is poorly.

This is not fancy but it does download readings.

upstream is at: http://jaskinie.jaszczur.org/index_en.html

prompted by this mail to finished this off, I have just uploaded it to
debian, so it should be available there quite soon at
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dxtool

The other codebase is Marco Corvi's precursor to topodroid: topolinux
The drawing part of that codebase, using QT3 is competely obsolete,
but the distoX tools comms part is still useful. I got it to download
data, and calibration numbers but I never got it to successfully
calculate new calibrations and upload them. It was 90% there but there
were problems with different tools ordering data in different ways. I
never got round to fixing it.

It would be good if someone got enthused to fix up this code and then
we could do calibrations without needing a windows PDA or laptop to
run pockettopo, or an android device to run topodroid. As I own
neither of those things I would really like to see this fixed, but
still haven't got round to it as it's usually expedition time and it's
easier to borrow a suitable device than to stop and fiddle with
software :-)

I would be keen to work with anyone who has some time for this, to
resurrect the 'utils' part of that codebase in working form.

Upstream is at https://code.google.com/archive/p/topolinux/
but was abondonned to work on topodroid instead.

Marco could no doubt provide more info.

Wookey
--
http://wookware.org/