[Therion] Combining caves using different co-ordinate systems

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Fri Sep 19 23:10:15 CEST 2014

We have been using multiple coordinate systems for a number of years, and it
seems to work perfectly.
We mix and match at will between lat-long, NZMG and NZTM (ie old and new
datums) within the same cave survey and between cave surveys.
So, Footleg, unless you have other reasons to do so, there is no need to
convert your old datum coords to new datum coords.

There seem to be a couple of rules to keep things working smoothly.  Have a
look at Therion Book pg 14 and 46-47 and keep in mind the distinction
between input and output.

1.

	Each centerline with fix statement(s) should have a date and cs
specification (prior to the fix I think).
2.

	So that you can be sure of the cs applied to the outputs, specify
the output cs that you want in the th-config (not in a layout).
3.

	I have avoided using cs in layout, as, even if Therion is consistent
in the way it applies it, in the situation where there are multiple
coordinate systems in use, it is not abundantly clear to a user which cs
will be used, for example where some centrelines have no explicit cs or for
the output.  (Although reading Therion Book pg 47, maybe that is for Atlas
outputs - been a while, I forget).

Now that we have output variables in 5.3.15 that echo the cs that has been
used for output, it will be possible to have this stamped in the pdf header.
I have a 'proof that it works' layout drafted up, and one day I will make a
modular set of layouts to make it readily useable

The first file embedded on this page
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php/templates
(ie
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/templates:thconfig-templates