[Therion] Drawing for generating outputs at multiple differentscales

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Mon Mar 3 19:56:44 CET 2014

Footleg

This was one of my early challenges shortly after discovering Therion, and
it crops up from time to time on this forum.

I have decided that with 'draw once, use many times' I am limited to about
half an order of magnitude difference in scales (ie 1:500 to 1:2000) to get
label spacing and symbol placement that is more or less OK at a range of
scales.

Personally, once I get to 1:5000 I pretty much turn off all symbols.
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php/templates

Judicious use of text scales xs, s, m, l, xl allows one to crudely hide
minor text at smaller scales.

You can use base-scale to globally reduce all text and symbol sizes.

Thomas Holders examples show how symbols can be made to plot to suit the
scale. Ie hide smaller symbols.
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php/metapost?s[]=thomas#scale_dependant_v
isualization_of_symbols
<http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php/metapost?s%5b%5d=thomas#scale_depend
ant_visualization_of_symbols>

People have proposed various 'dual scrap' scenarios, but it seems to defeat
what simplicity Therion has :)

You could use 'revise' for each symbol, but I think madness would lie down
that route.

Check the wiki.

Bruce

  _____