[Therion] Therion hanging after compile

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Jun 14 13:16:27 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:15:26AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Jenny Black [2014-06-11 19:12 +1200]:
> >    Olly has just had a look (thank you Olly!), and in xtherion he changed:
> >    set rx {\S*[^\]\s]\s+\[\d+\]}
> >    to:
> >    set rx {\s\[\d+\]}
> >    It now no longer hangs, and runs as well as ever. We're not sure what the
> >    regular expression search was for, or whether changing it matters. As far
> >    as I can see it doesn't, as the pdf and log files have already been made.
>
> Just noticed this. Well fettled. I've filed a bug in Debian BTS about
> this so it doesn't get forgotten.
>
> I'll do a 5.3.15 upload with this and ol's other fixes in very soon.

I'm not at all confident this fix is correct - my grasp of Tcl is
insufficient to understand what the code is actually doing with this
regex.

All I did was to prune the bit off the start of the pattern which was
causing the regex engine to do insane amount of backtracking (which
with a large log file could easily result in it taking 10 minutes to
run this regex over the whole log).

So you might want to wait for comments from Stacho or Martin before
shipping this.

Cheers,
    Olly