[Therion] Topparser response

Martin Sluka martinsluka at mac.com
Mon Jul 29 11:40:33 CEST 2013

Jul 29, 2013 v 11:05 AM, Bruce <bruce at tomo.co.nz>:

> With maps dependant on surveys you need
> Select submapA at subsurveyA.surveyA
> Select submapB at subsurveyB.surveyB
>
> With maps independent on surveys you only need
> Select submapA
> Select submapB
>
> The benefits are greater (if I am correct) the more nested levels (I have not yet had to go beyond three) and the more surveys and indeed the more caves that are converging. There is a similar (but partially opposite) effect on the ‘station-names’ suffixes required when drawing scraps.

You are right about benefit. If you do the maps definition alone, you may check it. But it is really difficult to prevent people to name two maps in historically long independent projects which were somewhen connected to one with the same name. The same with station names. This name-spaced structure of therions surveys and maps has the power to accept such duplicities, because there couldn't be duplicities in survey or map structures with suffixes.

There couldn't be two identical names od stations in one scrap, there couldn't be two identical names of different stations in one survey, there could be two different but identical named scraps in one map, there couldn't be two identical names of different surveys in parent survey, etc. It is very similar to mail or url addresses.

I personally use very long map or survey or scrap names, just to prevent these, but in any enough big dataset you may find: "begin map  -  endmap" construction without good name of map.

BTW to write the all "path" of map you need select in thconfig file you just double-click on particular map in map structure graph in side-menu of compilation window.

Martin