[Therion] Topparser response

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Mon Jul 29 11:05:39 CEST 2013

Hi Martin

I think we each lost each others meaning in translation.

"Maps do not need to be children of the surveys they are based on, but the
way Topparser currently creates them they are.  Therion does allow them to
be outside of the 'survey' 'endsurvey' block, and indeed outside of the
survey.th file altogether."

I agree it is a 'feature'.

Therion allows maps to be tied to the hierarchy of the surveys and it also
allows maps to be completely independent of the survey hierarchy, but it
depends on how one constructs the dataset.  Despite wanting to for a year or
two, I have not yet got around to constructing an 'independent' dataset, so
I'm hardly an authority - just repeating what I read in the Therion Book and
the wiki.

I'm confused by the case you describe below - having 2 nearby caves each
with a name 'map1' would be a problem if one used maps that were defined
independently.  But surely they would sensibly be named CaveAMap and
CaveBMap?

The reason I like the idea of independent map structures is that, when for
example Cave A and Cave B are large cave systems with 2 or 3 levels of
nested surveys each, and the distant reaches of these two caves that started
out far part are now close together, and one wants a map that consists only
of the last 300m of each cave where they are close together.

With maps dependant on surveys you need

Select submapA at subsurveyA.surveyA

Select submapB at subsurveyB.surveyB

With maps independent on surveys you only need

Select submapA

Select submapB

The benefits are greater (if I am correct) the more nested levels (I have
not yet had to go beyond three) and the more surveys and indeed the more
caves that are converging. There is a similar (but partially opposite)
effect on the 'station-names' suffixes required when drawing scraps.

Now I am rambling.

  _____