[Therion] TopParser

Andrew Atkinson andrew at wotcc.org.uk
Sun Jul 28 23:20:47 CEST 2013

On 28/07/13 21:41, Bruce wrote:
> Thanks Graham, and Andrew
>

> Have tried out TopParser 1.2.1
>
> It seems to work fine, and crashes more gracefully than 1.2.0 which is
> good (although I am not sure the 1.2.0 crashes were TopParsers fault).
>
> There is no Manual packaged with 1.2.1 so new users will need to
> download both packages to get a copy of the Manual.

Forgot that bit had to be done manually, changed the zip file so it has
the manual in it.

> My confusion with the input and output folders is that the usage of the
> words is too colloquial.
>
> The interface has no labels that match 'input' or 'output'.
>
> I can guess which is which, but there are four folder entry boxes.

Okay I need to explain this better but for now I will try below.

> I see;
>
> Pockettopo file: (input folder easy enough to guess)

Usually on an external drive it will copy this to the Raw Directory

> Project Directory: (output folder??)

So I put all my caved into one area, eg CheddarCatchement. So this is
the root of my directory, Survey Directory and Raw directory are
relative to this

> Survey Directory: (another output folder??)

Inside my CheddarCatchment I have the folders as names of caves, say
Reservoir. So if I come back from a trip in reservoir with
NewPassage.top, setting Project as CheddarCatchment and the Survey
directory as Reservoir, if the Add subdirectory is ticked the th, th2
and thconfig files will go in CheddarCatchment/Reservoir/NewPassage, if
it is not ticked they will all just go in CheddarCatchment/Reservoir

> RAW Directory: (another output folder?? - subfolder in project location
> where top and xvi are stored)

So I put xvi and .top in a sub-directory, so here I can name it. if the
'Raw Directory is in the Survey Directory' is ticked it is relative to
the Survey Directory if it is not ticked it is relative to the Project
Directory.

. and /.. should all work.

The difficulty I am having here is so many varied ways to organise
files, so giving people the option, without having a silly number of
boxed to change, ideas welcome. You are probably the first person to use
TopParser who has not been taught be me, so most people using it, use my
method of filing, so it works for them :)

> The first two screenshots in the manual do not appear to be a matching
> pair.  If they were it might ease understanding.
>

> I think relative paths and the old dos . and .. for self and parent are
> allowed for the survey and raw directories, but not sure.
>

> Here are screen shots of what I have used.
>
> This produces the following python log.
>
> And then when I manually run the thconfig produced by Topparser I get
>

> So probably something I am doing wrong, or at least differently to what
> you anticipated.

Have you checked that under variables the windows set of command line
are in place, click on 'Set to Windows' to check

> One other minor quibble for now.
>
> Perhaps the plan and elevation scraps should be forced (or at least have
> the option)to inherit the map suffixes entered on the Data TAB (and then
> the specific plan, elevation and section suffixes entered on the plan
> and elevation TABs).
>
> This would ensure better consistency and ready recognition by the human
> user of the relationship of particular scraps – maps – files.

Sorry not sure what you mean, do you mean that they all should be
NewPassageSuffix.
Can you give an example, this is different from what I do

Andrew