[Therion] Inkscape import/export plugins

Thomas Holder thomas at thomas-holder.de
Mon Feb 14 17:58:29 CET 2011

Andrew Atkinson wrote, On 02/14/11 17:05:
> I know little about Inkscape, but got the basics.
> Using Inkscape  0.47 r22583  Ubuntu 10.04
>
> So loaded up the add in, one question that does not affect its use, but
> might be important for update. All my others are in folders, but this
> just goes in as is (I did try it in a folder but it did not work.)

what is in folders, the plugin files?

> It imported my th2 files fine, but with no background image, not sure if
> it was meant to. All the ones I tried had been from a PocketTopo import.

there is a hidden layer that should show your background image. Open the
layers panel and un-hide it there.

> First impressions are impressive, all the wall types shown, if anything
> a little fine on the detail, sometimes had to zoom in a bit to tell the
> difference.
>
> Then tried a new file, did not bother with a background image, just
> played, added walls and even different subtype of walls, okay they all
> came up the same but when saved and then reloaded they came out fine.

Annotation is not so elegant but can be done for selected elements from
the menu with "Extensions > Therion > Set...". So you can change line
type, for example draw a couple of rocks, select them all and then
annotate as "line rock-border".

> Couple of comments, I try to connect node points together when attaching
> a pit to a wall, etc. I know it is not needed in Therion, as clip sorts
> it out, but it works for me, but I could not do this on Inkscape.
> On a loaded file you cannot change the wall subtype, which is how you
> said, however I am not sure if this is the right behaviour. As I could
> tell from my new file I could add in different subtypes of wall as new,
> so why not give the option of changing them.  When opening ask if you
> want read only or changeable. Okay it would not change on the display
> until next reloaded, but currently I would have to change it in Xtherion
> or an editor..

you can change the subtype of the complete line by adding the -subtype
option to the label. But changing the subtype within the line at a
certain point is not supported since this concept does not exist in
Inkscape. If you would allow the user to edit such a line, this
information would be lost.

One way to solve this would be to split the line in parts...

> Also on loading it found a few errors
>
> skipped: #point
> skipped: #point
> warning: empty line
> warning: empty line
>
> An indication of which line would be good, or better still an option to
> correct.

I'll think about it.

> Maybe lots of this is planned. It is very impressive, I can see it in
> the future helping lots of people to be able to use Therion in the
> future. It would be good to have an idea where you intend to go with it,
> I have lots of questions, things like viewing at different scale
> outputs, and seeing the text along a line labels, then there are Areas.

Text along line labels and areas are preserved on import/export, but
cannot be edited on the inkscape canvas, sorry.

Acutally, I intend to leave it as is for now. Of course any reasonable
suggestion for improvement I will consider, that's why I asked for
feedback :)

Cheers,
   Thomas