[Therion] symbol-show fixed points

Bruce dangle at tomo.co.nz
Mon Feb 7 21:10:21 CET 2011

Hi All

I've been trying to understand symbol-show and symbol-hide a little better
as they relate to pdf outputs.  How do I display the text associated with
fixed points?

I have some map objects defined for various caves in a large system.  These
are comprised of scrap drawings.

 I also have a map object with the minor surface features nearby, such as
sinks, dolines, isolated entrances and significant navigational features
such as fence posts or trees (for example). This is comprised of a survey
only (mostly fixed points, and no scrap drawings) however and uses flags
such as doline or sink, and most points have a text string associated ie.

fix 15 2521640   6042938            581       10 10 30

station 15 "Concrete water trough"

I would like to show the caves as outlines with all the rest of their
symbology turned off, and the surface features with each of the points
labelled with appropriate symbol and associated text.  This is for an area
map, at scales of say 1:5000 or 1:10,000

I can turn the cave symbols off with symbol-hide statements, and so far I
think that is working out OK.

However.

            -layout-symbol-show point flag:entrance \

            -layout-symbol-show point flag:sink \

            -layout-symbol-show point flag:spring \

            -layout-symbol-show point flag:doline \

            -layout-symbol-show point flag:dig \

The above layout statements cause the special entrance and sink etc symbols
to be displayed, AND show the text string associated with the point.  These
are not displayed by default as far as I can tell, but these statements
rectify that.

        -layout-symbol-show group all

And the group all statement has pretty much the same effect in a more
comprehensive and compact format.

However none of the above enables me to display the text for my "Concrete
water trough" example above.

It is always just a cross with no text, or with '15' if debug station-names
is on.  It shows up in Loch, but not in pdfs.

So, how do I display the text associated with fixed points?

Is there a need for.

            -layout-symbol-show point fixed

. or something similar?

Also, sometimes I would like to display the point symbols (for the likes of
the above flags) OR the text strings associated with the points, but not
both at once.  Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks