[Therion] Multi-level cave - offset the levels

Bruce dangle at tomo.co.nz
Thu Feb 25 07:33:32 CET 2010

>Question one:  I am working on a map of a cave which has a maze section.  I

>would like to compile the map so that the bottom level is connected to the
>est of the cave while the top level is offset to one side.  How is that
>one?

Bill
A quick and perhaps inadequate reply, as I'm about to head off caving for a
few days...

Define a map (or maps) for the part of the cave that is to be offset.
Look up pg 31 of The (current) Therion book regarding maps.

Put some code defining an overall map in your INDEX*.th file along the lines
of...

  map MiddleEarthPlanMap \
  -title "Middle Earth and<br>Lower Greenlink Caves<br>Plan View" \
  -projection plan
    GreenlinkFPlan at MiddleEarth   # map defined in surveyF.th
    MiddleEarthEPlan at MiddleEarth # map defined in surveyE.th

    GreenlinkKPlan at MiddleEarth [-100 -100 m] above
    GreenlinkPPlan at MiddleEarth [-100 -100 m] above
  endmap

The last two maps in the above will be offset 100m south and 100m west, and
there will be an outline on the main part of the cave showing where the
offset passages really lie.

>Q2: s there a way to make Therion automatically scale the cross-section
> based on the survey points rather than a scale line?

I have only ever used the scale line, without trouble, so cannot comment.

>Question three:  Some of the area symbols seem to be a bit light in their
>coverage.  I have several areas defined as "clay" or "pebbles", but when
>drawn on the map there is maybe one or two dots in the area.  Is there a
>way to increase the density?

You could try some of the examples here
http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php?id=metapost#cave_symbol_size_and_dens
ity_examples

Or perhaps better is to use point clay and point pebbles more often and area
clay and area pebbles less often.