[Therion] Editing svg therion results

Xavier Pennec Xavier.Pennec at sophia.inria.fr
Sat Dec 15 11:34:53 CET 2007

Hi

One of the things that I would like to do with the maps generated by
Therion is embedding plans and elevations in a single document,
especially for small caves, and rework on subparts of the plans and
elevations to put some specific features into evidence for figures in a
text explaining things about the cave (or in this case the mine).

I thought that it would be easy with any svg editor, but apparently this
is not the case at all. I can open and visualize the svg files produced
by therion using inkscape, but I cannot degroup the drawing in order to
edit some of the parts and, more importantly, importing the plan and the
elevation in  a single document lead to an incorrect result (see
NaduelRD5_fuse.svg). It seems that there is a namespace problem: as both
drawing refer to elements that have the same name, so that the
definition of one of the drawing overwrite the definitions of the other.

Does anybody have an idea of how to overcome that? Is there any other
svg editor that behaves better (and which is not too expensive!)?

By the way, it would be interesting to have a north arrow symbol that we
can place wherever we want in a plan and not only a north arrow
generated in the legend. That way, we could avoid using legends when
needed (e.g. to fuse maps outside therion).

Thanks

Xavier