[therion] Re: translating...

Stacho Mudrak s.m at speleo.sk
Fri Jan 21 13:05:46 CET 2005

Wookey wrote:

> Does therion use simple .txt files for translations?

No. Text files are only sources. In the compilation, they comes a part of binary executable. Not efficient, but very simple and reliable.

> It occurs to me that if we are going to get into translations (and it's
> obviously a good thing) that it might be better to use the standard .po file
> mechanism for this. I don't know much about how it works but it seems to be
> used a lot and I assume it deals sensibly with things like character set
> problems? And we must get some standard tools to use etc.

Well - my experience is, it does not a good job. All the programs I have been using in Slovak (including survex), were doing problems. I encountered problems with missing .po files (especially under Windows I had to set up environment variables) and missing or wrongly substituted characters.

Well, in the future, we will certainly switch to .po files (we are forced to use them by WX in new model viewer), but now it would only slow down developement of more needed things.

S.