[therion] Re: General note and suggestions

Stacho Mudrak s.m at speleo.sk
Mon Jan 10 14:21:59 CET 2005

Wookey wrote:

> Ah, OK. So I thought the problem was that it couldn't find file, but what
> you are saying is that the .th2 files loaded is irrelevant, and doing
> 'compile' just runs wahtever the thconfig file says?

Exactly.

> the file loaded in the map-editor (if it is not mentioned). This is a bit of
> a problem if you loaded the wrong thconfig file (as I did above), but I'm
> not sure what should be done about it. Maybe a warning about 'unused file in
> map editor - is that what you wanted?'?

May be. In any case, if you know what happens, than it is not so bad error.

>> In any case, the compilation process needs to be changed. I am preparing new arrangement, but it will take some time.
>

> It does? I don't have a particular problem with it at the moment.

OK, I would like to have editor of configuration files in the therion text editor (I think this is more correct). I have also added checking of time-stamps in text and map editor (to avoid problems of using external editors), but I was not able to do it in compiler (this text editor is not standard). But I am only thinking about it, I am working on different things.

>>> inserting line points happens _after_ the current point
>>> inserting file entries happens _before_ the current line
>

> However this is perhaps a very large change in the internals with only a
> small gain for users. I can live with it, but I do think it adds to the
> things that make therion confusing to use.

OK, in the 0.3.5 version, symbols should never be inserted outside of scrap just by mistake. With all symbols with exception of rock-border and edges (and stations in extended-elevation), you do not need to take care of their order. So probably users will not have huge problems in the future.

> But if we just explain about the ordering (especially for rocks - what else
> does it affect?), that will be enough to let people use it.

I think also. Somebody should write it down to tips and tricks :)

>> OK, I can change it that new scraps will be inserted before current scrap.
>

> after :-)

OK after or if it will be too difficult, at the end of file.

>>> Check to tell you you are entering line outside a scrap would be good.
>>

>> OK, but I hate error windows, I have to click OK every time. Would a beep be enought?
>

> A beep and a message in the status area (where it says 'select object',
> 'drawing line', etc).

OK

> OK - but they look exactly the same in the UIS symbol set. I actually want
> to use the 'border' type line for floor-step. I will have to try to
> fine-tune my output,one thing I have not yet messed with.

try following two lines in your layout:

code metapost
let l_floorstep = l_border_visible_SKBB;

> But it is important to record the things that annoy me, before I get used to
> them and forget that they are a problem when starting out.

Yes. I will translate TODO.S file into english a little bit :) .

> I'm very happy to provide feedback. Despite all my complaining, I think
> therion is very good, or at least will be good one day when it is a bit more
> finished. :-)

Thanks,
S.