[therion] translating types

Roman Muñoz tatel at infonegocio.com
Wed Feb 16 09:27:13 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:22:17 +0100
Stacho Mudrak <s.m at speleo.sk> wrote:

>> The problem is simple - xtherion is editing text files, and therion
>> accepts only english as input file language.
>> (...)
>> When we have been discussing it before - the only solution was to
>> write new user interface for that.

OK, I understand. I was guessing that solution would not be trivial.

>> OK - types can be translated somehow, but what obout other options
>> (put in options line)? And what about text editor - where you are
>> editing input th files also in english? It is the same with survex,
>> there also all commands are not translated.

Of course you are right. I think all the matter would need somewhat as
an "abstraction layer" so translated types, options, etc, would be
passed to therion in english, or so. Again, I understand this is not
trivial. At this moment, get the people learning about 50 english words
is probably easier than getting a new interface.

>> When do you have your session?

Date is not fixed yet, however things are moving faster than
expected. I'll need to do hard lobbying work from now. It would
be very helpful if I could send even a not-so-fully-translated, windows
binary version to some people as fast as possible. I updated the
translation script in wiki so types remain untouched, but I have no idea
about compiling those all tex, tcltk, tkimg, etc, things, in order to
get it working on windows  :(

>>  Also I have almost finished using LRUD data in map editor.

Aaah... very good new; I think it is at least as important as
translation. Will there be a grid in map editor to make drawing to scale
easier? Is there an idea about release date? Could this next release be
"translated"?

I'm doing my first serious Therion survey now, and taking notes
for a writing. (Wookey: your starter guide is useful, thanks) I'll
post some (probably dumb) questions next week or so. I'm quite happy
with therion. It is by far the best caving survey software I tried.
Authors and contributors can be proud of it.

Regards,
Roman