[therion] How to change settings for just a few readings?

John Pybus john.pybus at zoology.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 13:21:16 CEST 2004

Stacho Mudrak wrote:

> No, there is no such possibility. You have to repeat calibration every time it changes. I would rewrite your example this way:
>
>   encoding iso8859-1
>     survey test -title "test"
>       centreline
>       calibrate tape 1
>       1 2 10 0 0
>       calibrate tape 2
>       2 3 10 0 0
>       calibrate tape 1
>       3 4 10 0 0
>     endcentreline
>   endsurvey
>
> I'm just wondering, whether these situations are so common...

I'd say common enough on fairly large survey projects, especially those under exploration/expedition conditions where the surveying is done in a hurry and the chances of going back and correcting iffy readings are low.

I quite often make use of changing the SD for particular legs where it's known that the survey wasn't done to the general standard.  In general the SD is defined in a separate file which I *include in the survex data.  Having to undo that separation when using therion, and repeat the definition of the SD, is a shame, and makes converting data harder (as I first attempt I've usually just ignored changes in SD and put a comment in the .th file).

Yours,

John