[therion] Re: Queries and comments on 0.2.17

Stacho Mudrak s.m at speleo.sk
Tue Feb 24 08:26:11 CET 2004

> OK - yes 1:200 must be a default? I normally use 1:500. For this system
> 1:1000 or 1:2000 will be appropriate. Well spotted.

Well, we're surveying caves where passage is in average 2m width, so we've set up this scale as default. Anyway, I'll think how to set up default layout (including symbols and all other stuff) in therion.ini. This should be the solution I believe.

> Except now people who _do_ want a tick on every contour will need to add
> -tick each time. This doesn't really address the problem of setting defaults
> for things like this. Does the UIS symbol set have ticks on contours?
>
> I know defaults should be set by specifying a symbol set, but that is going
> to be difficult for 'most users' who don't want to get into writing
> MetaPost.  Once we have a wide choice of symbol
> sets than most people should be happy I suppose, but I think many surveyors
> like to have a few little 'artisitic differences' in their surveys and not
> always use _all_ the standard symbols. Something to think about.

Yes, you're right. Martin also pointed me this problem, so we've left behaviour on the macro. Now it decides, whether to put tick or not, if no user wish is present. Now two macros exists: l_contour_SKBB (with tick by default) and l_contour_UIS (without tick by default). I think, we will be able to live for a while with this state. So if you will use -layout-symbol-set UIS, no contour ticks should be present (I believe, this afternoon we will put on the server new developement release).

S.