Tom library and scrap connections

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 17:19:55 CET 2004

I've got back to Therion after a long period of working all the time.

I have a _lot_ of cave to draw up...

Current Debian Status:
You may recall that I discovered in October that the 0.3.3 version of
therion I was building should have had the TOM/OPenGL stuff in it, but
didn't. So I've started packaging the Tom library for Debian so that Therion
can use it. This is not a trivial job to do properly, and I haven't yet
succeeded in building a Debian Therion with 3D support, but expect to in the
next couple of weeks. This probably won't quite make it into the imminend
debian stable release (but the existing therion 0.3.3-1 is).

Connecting scraps:

My biggest problem at the moment with Therion is how to split up scraps and
connect them nicely.

I am drawing over previously-drawn-to-scale scans.

given that I want to join scraps at convenient (low detail/logical) places
and not the edges of scans, how can I best do this so they match up?

I can keep adding background drawings into one file and draw all the scraps
that way but I will end up with a huge file that is very slow to load and
manipulate, even if I turn off some images which I am not longer directly
using.

As soon as I start a new file with new background images then I can't see
where the old scrap ends so I don't know where to start the new scrap. How
do others deal with this problem? How well does therion deal with the lines
significantly overlapping, or not reaching each other?

Do you always add in the adjoining scan so that you can see what it looked
like? This still doesn't really help with remembering how far you drew up to
on the last scrap.

I feel I am missing something obvious here, as the existing system doesn't
seem to work. How is everyone else managing it? How can we make it easier to
use?

Bugs:

I found a couple of bugs, one serious. (using therion 0.3.3-1 on x86)

1) If I have an image (PNM) of size 1672x2333 then only about half of it is
visible in the map editor. This makes it impossible to draw round. Is this
expected? Should images be limited to some size before they can be importad
as background? If so what is that size?

2) if keys used to change mode (F2, F1 etc) then menu top bar
disappears.('normalize' window size fixes it). Can anyone else reproduce this

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/ play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/