[therion] Re: Mud and sand

Michael Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Fri Dec 17 12:18:47 CET 2004

Andrew Atkinson wrote:

>> I think these are a type of speleothem - calcite raft floating on water.
>> I'mnot sure about a raft cone, but presumably it is some variation. These
>> are certainly quite rare formations....
>

> I am guessing but are raft cones where a 'raft' has calcited around a stal?

A raft is as you thought, calcite rafts floating on water. When these
are disturbed the calcite rafts sink and can build up on the bottom of
the pool as 'conical' shaped piles. The pool can dry up and the
raft cones will be left. Thus they are different to rafts and so have a
different symbol. Yes they are not common but they are not rare.

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.