Mud and sand

Andrew Atkinson andrew at wotcc.org.uk
Wed Dec 15 05:10:29 CET 2004

Stacho Mudrak wrote

>> In any case, soon I will probably add those missing area symbols -
>> blocks, snow, ice and mud, but I am afraid, blocks will not look nice.

But it has to be better than drawing them by hand

>> One question, what is the difference between mud and clay? clay =  mud
>> without water? Should it mean the same, or not?

I am not a sedimentologist, but I think that clay is a type of mud, usually
of a finer grain. Mud possibly covers silt and sand as well. As a cave
surveyor I do not think that I can tell a difference, so would would not
particularly want different symbols, but I suspect there are lot of people
out there who do. I have tended to use minus signs for mud and dots for
sand. But I most probably should be using dots for all of it

Andrew Atkinson