[therion] Re: How do all the metapost parts fit together.

Stacho Mudrak s.m at speleo.sk
Mon Sep 8 16:04:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:11:24 +1000, Michael Lake <mikel at speleonics.com.au> wrote:

> By the way helictites are helictites but your xtherion has them as helectites.

This of course a bug (not the first one of this kind :)). If somebody would like to check our point, line and area types and write comments about it like:

What has a wrong spelling?
What is not understandable?
What names should be preferred? (for example: we use popcorn (US) not cauliflower-calcite (UIS))?
What symbols are missing?
etc.

> What do you use in Slovenia.

helektity :)

> How were you planning to cope with things like the text in different languages. survex uses a lookup table of numbers for error messages and their strings that are output for each language. Perhaps therion could use the uis english text in the program but use a lookup table to convert them to other strings for xtherions menus for french and german etc.

OK, some words about our view of internationalization:

Therion input files language will be only english (like survex). In fact, it's a code and I have a very negative experience with code written in other languages (Micro$oft once released VisualBasic in SLOVAK (something really nasty) - in the next release, they came back to english)

2. We're also not keen on putting other languages into xtherion. The reason is simple, I've a very bad experience with all programs translated into SLOVAK.

The translations are usually less understandable - a lot of technical terms have their equivalents in Slovak - but in Slovakia usually english terms not Slovak are used (ok, may be in France or Germany it's different :) . And also, there are allways problems with regional special characters...

The last thing is - that terms like stalactites, helictites etc. are a part of input files - so people should understand them anyway. Like they understand words like length, bearing, clino in survex.

3. Therion map and atlas output will be translated into other languages probably very soon. When it will generate lists of map symbols, they will be described in local language.

Regards, S.