survex to therion data conversion

Andy Waddington on Cave Surveying surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 11:04:26 CET 2003

On Wednesday 2003-11-05 18:27, Wookey typed:

>> * (in *team) (survex currently allows anything but therion has a list)
>>  "insts" is not recognised and has to be replaced with "compass clino". I
>> think "insts" or "instruments" should be a permitted synonym as it's in a
>> lot of data files.

The instruments being read are not necessarily compass and clino for
some surveying styles. They might, for example, be a compass and
depth guage. The more general term should be preferred if all
instruments are being read by a single surveyor, but it ought to
be accpetable to specify individual instruments if, as occasionally
happens, different instruments are being read by different people and
you need to specify which/who.

>> (it would be nice if the synonym "centreline" was allowed as well as
>> "centerline", then I wouldn't get an error every time I type it in  :-)  On
>> the other hand there is a lot to be said for a strict data format).

You could have a strict data format whilst still allowing regional
variant spellings if you had something like

*lingua en-gb
; or
*lingua en-us

to specify which command set was in use. Your program would need
to understand every set of directives. This form of internationalisation
is the sort of common courtesy that most English-speaking standards
groups neglect  :-(  I used to have a browser that understood <centre>
as well as <center>, which was nice for viewing web pages which had
been built in an ordinary text editor (like Wookey, I always type the
familiar spelling), but not much use for testing pages that you were
actually going to publish. If the DTD line at the top of the page
would allow me to specify en-gb tags, that would make life much
easier (but would make browsers more complex)-:

Andy