[therion-users] Re: therion does a seg fault when I try and run it

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 15:52:07 CEST 2003

+++ Stacho Mudrak [03-08-28 09:14 +0200]:
> Uff - this is the first time therion does not work on linux!

Mike is almost certainly the first person even to try a non-x86 version
(I haven't actually tried it on arm yet - I really must do and see if
similar problems arise). Is powerpc big or little-endian Mike

> It seems to me, that this is some global problem with pointers on your
> machine. Following lines indicate this:

Indeed - looks like a serious miscompilation.

Stacho - worth taking a look at the build log for powerpc to see if there
are any clues:
<url:http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=therion&ver=0.2.14-1&arch=powerpc&stamp=1058554482&file=log&as=raw>

Looks like there are some issues in thpoint- warnings about assigning -1 to
char. (Which probably means that the default char is unsigned on powerpc,
like it is on arm - people used to x86 tend to assume that 'char' means
'signed char' so don't explicitly specify it. This leads to failures like
EOF tests going wrong amongst other things.

g++ -c -g -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHLINUX -O2 -o thpoint.o thpoint.cxx
thpoint.cxx: In function void thpoint_parse_value(int&, double&, bool&,
char&, char*)':
thpoint.cxx:731: warning: assignment of negative value -1' to char'
thpoint.cxx:731: warning: argument of negative value -1' to char'
thpoint.cxx: In member function void thpoint::parse_value(char*)':
thpoint.cxx:814: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
thpoint.cxx:874: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
thpoint.cxx:893: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

That seems to be the only big thing the compiler spotted although there is
also a load of stuff about missing fonts which may well not be important.

> >processing projection (null) ... done.
>
> (null) should be "plan". Both strings are given in C code as constants, so
> some part of therion is writing to the memory, it should not touch.
>
> >	therion gduxs:l:qLvhip:
>
> This can be an indication - this is a string, that is passed to getopt
> library, so may be there are some conflicts of versions or something like
> that...

Does therion need a particular version of getopt? At the moment it's
compilaing against whatever is current in the distribution.

Wookey