[Therion] How to get the right count for cave lengths

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Sun Apr 21 05:58:25 CEST 2019

TarquinHave a look at https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/faq#how_do_i_specify_a_main_entrance_and_also_the_other_entrancesto find out more about specifying what is a cave and what is just another entrance. To see what Therion is interpreting from your input, cave-list and survey-list are a good compliment to the map output statistics. Surface survey is not counted as cave survey, so the statistics are not reported on map outputs. Yes you do need to structure your data to define which trips belong to which caves. I would also have an overall surface survey to contain all of the surface trips. Also, flags surface and flags not surface are required to distinguish cave passage from from surface survey. I prefer to also make sure the surface survey is in its own centreline (or own survey)  if it is more than just once or two legs. In general I find it preferable to keep surface survey for surface (including isolated features like shafts), and create a new trip file for each cave. This helps maintain a clear separation of data for subsequent survey processing and statistics gathering. BruceSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Tarquin Wilton-Jones via Therion <therion at speleo.sk> Date: 19/04/19  06:33  (GMT+12:00) To: therion at speleo.sk Cc: Tarquin Wilton-Jones <tarquin.wilton-jones at ntlworld.com> Subject: [Therion] How to get the right count for cave lengths Hi,I have nearly completed the total survey for the system I am mapping. Intotal, there are a series of little caves (actually mines, but I willstick with the word "caves" because it is clearer), a blind surfaceshaft, and a couple of significantly long caves. In total, these weresurveyed over a series of 6 trips. On one of those trips, we surveyedthe surface, and any short fragments of passage that we encountered thatway. One of those fragments turned out to be one of the major caves. Themajor cave's survey was subsequently completed on another trip, but itsfirst few metres are included in the surface survey.I am used to Survex. Each of the surveying trips has its own .th file:overall.th ("input"s all the other files)surface1/surface1.th (contains the entrances to several fragments, andthe first 2 legs of cave 1)surface2/surface2.th (contains the blind shaft's plumbed depth and someother entrances)cave1/cave1.th (does not contain any entrances, but is a long cave,connected to the "cave 1 legs" in surface1.thcave2/cave2.th (contains the first part of cave2, and its entrance)cave3/cave3.th (contains cave3, with two entrances)cave2ext/cave2ext.th (contains the second part of cave2)Cave1 is connected to cave2.Each entrance is marked using "station 2 Cave1 entrance" in thecentreline section of the file where it is defined. Survex only displaysaggregate statistics. Therion tries to identify "caves", which is aconcept I am not used to.I had hoped that Therion would be smart enough to see that caves areconnected to each other, and work out the connected lengths. But itseems that it only works out the length of the files within the samesurvey. Cave1 doesn't get any length. Cave2 gets only the length fromcave2.th - the length of the cave2ext and cave1 are not included.How do I make Therion realise what caves are connected? Do I need to putthem into a structure like this?survey overallsurvey cave1_2 -entrance 2 at cave2 -name "Caves 1 and 2"input cave1.thinput cave2.thinput cave2ext.thendsurveyendsurveyAnd if so ... how do I tell it that *part* of the cave lies within thesurface survey file? Do I need to split the surface survey up intoparts, one of which is the entrance to cave1?Separately, when using "statistics topo-length on", it ignores thesurface survey legs, which is quite unfair for the person who surveyed 1km of surface to link all of the entrances - they get no credit at all.Can it be asked to include surface legs in the topo-length calculationsfor survey credits?Thanks for any advice.Tarquin_______________________________________________Therion mailing listTherion at speleo.skhttps://mailman.speleo.sk/listinfo/therion