[Therion] How to create Compass files

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Sun Oct 14 19:52:52 CEST 2018

Hello everyone -

Suggestions please!

As a Linux user I have never tried using Compass.  A week ago I discovered
that Therion can create output files in Compass "PLT" format.  I created a
file and sent it to a friend who is a big Compass user.  He reports that it
will not import.

To test, I created a Windows computer in VirtualBox and then installed Compass
(version 5.10.1.23.267) on it.  I confirmed my friend's observation.  When I
try to open the PLT file in the Compass viewer, it gives an error:

	"Invalid numeric input"

When I try to open the file in the Compass editor, it give a different error:

	"1916543.04 is not a valid integer value"

Looking at the PLT file with a Linux text editor shows no obvious problems.
It appears to be a collection of GPS coordinates associated with survey
stations.  It is not a large file - about 36K bytes, which seems a bit small
for a cave with almost 800 survey stations and about 15,000 feet (4.5 km) of
passage.

The line I used to generate the file is:

	export model -fmt compass -o BigCavernRanch.plt

I tried adding "-enable all -wall-source all" to the compile line, but it made
no difference.  It did not even change the size of the file.

I am using Therion version 5.4.1 on 64-bit Fedora 28.

Thanks!
--
Bill Gee