[Therion] Conflict between "extend ignore" command and inverse legs

Evaristo Quiroga eqr at ecgracia.com
Fri Jun 8 13:05:32 CEST 2018

Hi,

In order to move forward with the issue of extend splay control, I will
give some examples.

After a download of DistoX2 to Topodroid, and check the extend leg
direction, I have the next centerline, where I can sketch .

You can see in the next screenshot  that only the leg shot  have the
extend direction set [<]. Topodroid have automatically oriented the
splays depending on its angle with respect to the leg shot angle. It's
very easy to sketch, with this help.

Now this data in Therion, after removing the "extend ignore" statement
for splays write by Topodroid.

>  extend left
>     56 55 7.04 123.5 -1.7
>     56 . 2.15 196.9 -5.0
>     56 . 0.69 32.1 -7.0
>     56 . 1.06 176.0 45.1
>     56 . 0.70 303.3 -84.0
>     56 . 2.31 229.4 21.3
>     56 . 2.39 244.0 20.5
>     56 . 3.37 240.2 22.0
>     56 . 3.60 230.6 22.4
>     56 . 3.80 244.2 41.0
>     56 . 2.43 240.7 -6.1
>     56 . 2.97 160.0 -7.5
>     56 . 3.62 111.1 -6.8
>     56 . 2.56 269.3 -7.0
>     extend left
>     57 56 6.37 130.1 2.2

I export to xvi, and open the exported .th2 sketch  by Topodroid. You
can see that the splays shots are affected by the "extend left"
statement. All the splays are to left, independent of its angle with
respect to the leg shot angle.

Now we can see the manually reorganized data to properly orient the splays.

>     55 . 4.01 275.9 -2.6
>     extend right
>     55 . 3.34 235.6 67.3
>     extend left
>     56 55 7.04 123.5 -1.7
>     56 . 2.15 196.9 -5.0
>     56 . 0.69 32.1 -7.0
>     56 . 1.06 176.0 45.1
>     56 . 2.31 229.4 21.3
>     56 . 3.37 240.2 22.0
>     56 . 3.60 230.6 22.4
>     56 . 2.97 160.0 -7.5
>     56 . 3.62 111.1 -6.8
>     extend right
>     56 . 3.80 244.2 41.0
>     56 . 0.70 303.3 -84.0
>     56 . 2.39 244.0 20.5
>     56 . 2.43 240.7 -6.1
>     56 . 2.56 269.3 -7.0
>     extend left
>     57 56 6.37 130.1 2.2

The result is better, but splay are not a the same position in the sketch.

Now we see something else that Topodroid does with the splays. Not only
is it orienting the splays, it is also calculating its projection on the
plane of the leg, which is better for a better extend sketch.

Seen these examples I think the same as Marco, that Therion should have
a "extend splay-auto" statement, that projects the splays on the plane
of the leg shots, depending on its angle with respect to the leg shot angle.

This can only be done from Therion, since if you have to do  by
Topodroid export, it could only do it by modifying the splay data.

And in the meantime Therion does not have that function its compiler
should ignore an "extend splay-auto" command, which the data capture and
drawing programs could already incorporate into their Therion exports.
To be recognized in the future when Therion incorporates this new function

Best regards,

Evaristo.