[Therion] 3D output file for printing

kevin dixon geospatial3d at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:15:12 CET 2018

3D Output
Suggest you use the open source Meshlab program for editing, converting
between 3D formats and point clouds.
I have done 3D crystal engraving using a sub-sampled point cloud. This is
particularly effective when lit by variable LED's but you will be limited
by the available crystal sizes. The laser creates micro-cracks in the
crystal at each data point. You have to experiment with the density of
point cloud, scale and offset it to fit inside your chosen crystal block
size using (0,0,0) for one corner or as per your engraver's requirements.
For 3D plastic output, find someone familiar with it who has a machine and
work with them. The main problems are small passages and having to use lots
of cutaway supports. You can subset the model based upon elevation and then
3D print each elevation range using a different colour plastic - helps with
model visualisation and display.
You can try fused powder deposition but this will give a solid form and
small passages will be fragile.
If you want realistic colour from 3D photogrammetry models then this is
possible by subsetting the 3D model and printing out small sections with no
overhangs plus added joints to aid assembly but the results are very time
consuming and not the best. Might be useful for a cutaway passage/chamber
display.
Kevin Dixon