[Therion] Redefined point continuation does not obey -align properly

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Sun Jan 21 22:54:37 CET 2018

Good morning

Something I noticed some years ago, and I have noticed again recently.

The alignment of point continuations does not properly adhere to the
alignment conventions that other textual point labels (such as label,
remark, date) do.

-align [left | right]  typically draws the symbol to the left or right of
the 'point' that is drawn.

For continuations, this occurs for the question mark, but not for the
'debug-like' text that is written describing the continuation.

This debug-like text is always written to the right of the question mark.

The debug-like text does responds to <br> text string codes, but not to
<centre> or <left> codes, as other text entities do.

This only affects point continuations that have been redefined like this;

code metapost

  def p_continuation(expr pos,theta,sc,al) =

    % draw default continuation symbol

    p_continuation_UIS(pos,theta,sc,al);

    % if text attribute is set

    if known(ATTR__text) and picture(ATTR__text):

    % set labeling color to light orange

    push_label_fill_color(1.0, 0.9, 0.8);

    % draw filled label with text next to ?

    p_label.urt(ATTR__text,(.5u,-.25u) transformed T,0.0,8);

    % restore original labeling color

    pop_label_fill_color;

    fi;

  enddef;

endcode

So perhaps there is something to change in this metapost?

I suspect around the line that starts with p_label.urt..

For example, here is a drawing with a point continuation I have tried to
align top-left.

point continuation -text "vegetable debris<br>gas bubbles up from sand"
-attr who "B Mutton" -attr what passage -attr priority caution -attr ref
plan -align tl

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Regards