[Therion] Multiple fixes for the same point

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Thu Sep 7 21:42:01 CEST 2017

Andrew
I have been doing this for years, and pretty sure it is working fine, no errors or warnings flagged by Therion at least.  Although I have not checked that the weighted averaging of the positions appears to be working correctly for about 5 years now, so there is a possibility it has got broken in the meantime. However nothing gross is happening or I would have noticed.
There were some issues and work arounds that were discussed on the forum.
https://www.mail-archive.com/therion@speleo.sk/msg03747.html Olly on Survex Jan 2012
https://www.mail-archive.com/therion@speleo.sk/msg03750.html Describing the characteristics
https://www.mail-archive.com/therion@speleo.sk/msg03751.html Stacho looking into it
https://www.mail-archive.com/therion@speleo.sk/msg04327.html  Xaviers solution Dec 2013

I vaguely recall that the multiple fixes did start turning up in loop reporting, as Satcho described, but I'm not sure about that - could be imagination.

I think it is appropriate functionality for Therion.  Over time many position fixes on a station, usually in different surveys, all with their own std errors.  Therion as far as I know handles these just fine, averaging appropriately.  If it does not, then something is broken.

At least two datasets where I do this are still in active use, if I get time I will make sure all is still well.

I think it is a topic that deserves a wiki FAQ or Tips and Tricks entry

Bruce