[Therion] Therion crashes in shapes.h when generating 3D

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Sun Nov 26 21:33:45 CET 2017

Michael
After some cosmetic changes to your thconfig I managed to compile.  I also
added some georeferencing so I could export kml files.
As per the attached pdf, It looks like your scrap interiors are properly
defined, except for the three armed passage near the top left.

I have not found it written down, but my assumption is that each scrap
should be a single contiguous piece of passage.  My experience is that
'export map' does not produce properly rendered kml files unless you stick
to this 'rule'.
The SA9.th2 file you supplied looks like it should be 9 scraps (including
the cross-section), one for each contiguous section of passage drawn.
The attached model kml looks fine I think, but as expected the map kml has
not been able to render.
Refer to
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/tips#avoiding_invisible_or_misshapen_scraps_i
n_loch_and_google_earth

When I tried your export model to lox I get the same Windows error that you
reported.
With such a chaotic scrap, I would expect unpredictable things to happen.
The lox file generator is trying to use the scrap outlines to determine the
model shape, and so I would suggest that if the kml map is having
difficulty, then a model trying to inherit scrap outlines is likely to have
even more trouble.

I would suggest either making each distinct piece of drawing a separate
scrap, or drawing your scrap progressively from a single starting point, if
you want to create models that are not purely centreline based.

In the attached config file, if you comment out the export model lox line,
the attached project files compile without error (provided you create an
output folder first).

If there is a Therion development task here, then it would be to detect
these anomalies at the 'export map kml' and 'export model-using-outlines'
stage and exit gracefully by reporting a warning in the first case, and an
error in the second case.

Bruce