[Therion] can survey id be called recursively

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Mon May 29 12:58:53 CEST 2017

Ok, Now I feel like a beginner, having to ask this question.

I have for years created my .th files like this, more or less.

input 1-BottomUpPlan.th2

map 1-BottomUpPlanCL -title "1-BottomUp plan centreline" -projection plan

                1  # this works fine

endmap

map 1-BottomUpPlan -title "1-BottomUp plan" -projection plan

                1-BottomUpPlan-s1

endmap

survey 1 -title "1-BottomUp"

centreline

etc

endcentreline

endsurvey

This is contrary to the current good advice, and the way TopParser works,
which suggests that maps should be created inside the survey, as this makes
referencing the scraps easier and more consistent when they are part of a
large project.

So with this brand new project, I rearranged my 1-BottomUp.th file like
this, to try to follow good practice .

survey 1 -title "1-BottomUp"

input 1-BottomUpPlan.th2

map 1-BottomUpPlanCL -title "1-BottomUp plan centreline" -projection plan

                1 # this always causes error at this location "object does
not exist - 1"

endmap

map 1-BottomUpPlan -title "1-BottomUp plan" -projection plan

                1-BottomUpPlan-s1

endmap

centreline

etc

endcentreline

endsurvey

Trouble is, the Therion Compiler always reports an error "object does not
exist - 1" when I try to create a small map with just the centreline of
survey 1.

I have tried a number of variations of the above, with versions from 5.3.16
to 5.4.1, and the only way I can get it to compile is with the arrangement
at the top of this post; how I have always done it for years and years.

So it looks like Therion is complaining about calling the survey "1" from
within the definition of survey "1".

I would not have thought this were a problem, as it seems like Therion is
generally happy to do this sort of thing.

Is it some kind of namespace problem?

Or is there some other thing I am missing?

Is it not possible to create a map of containing only a survey centreline,
from within that same survey?