[Therion] Person data type with more than two names

Bruce Mutton bruce at tomo.co.nz
Sat Jul 15 02:06:43 CEST 2017

Some of our cave surveyors have more than two word names, and previously I
have had mixed success getting their names reported correctly by Therion.
Some worked, some did not.

Therion Book says of this data type:

person ▷ a person’s first name and surname separated by whitespace
characters. Use ‘/’ to separate first name and surname if there are more
names.

So although this seems a little ambiguous to me, it works for three word
names, but not always for four.  Many combinations result in an error --
invalid name format -- "Bruce van/der/Mutton"

So by trial and error…

These are OK:

  -author 2017 "Bruce Mutton"

  -author 2017 "Bruce/Mutton"

  -author 2017 "Bruce van/Mutton"

  -author 2017 "Bruce van/der Mutton"

But these are not:

  -author 2017 "Bruce/van/Mutton"

  -author 2017 "Bruce van/der/Mutton"

  -author 2017 "Bruce/van/der/Mutton"

Rather than testing exhaustively, I’m wondering if anyone can shed light
on this.  Is the condition as simple as ‘only one of the spaces between
the names should have a /’?

I have only checked what Therion reports in pdf outputs, and not for
example html or sql outputs.

I have not yet checked 5 or six word names.