[Therion] warning -- equate used to define new station

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Aug 2 10:59:01 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-02 20:00 +1200, Bruce Mutton via Therion wrote:
> Vasily
>
> Looks like what you are calling a solution is what I would call a bug.

Doesn't look like a bug to me.

> Assuming that the warning is the correct response from Therion when a new
> station is defined using ‘equate’…

agreed.

> You have broken that by adding a ‘no-survey’ shot between the new station and
> the original station, and making your survey data more complicated in the
> process.

No, he's done exactly what he wanted, which is to explicitly define a
new station name and equate it to an existing one (without distorting the network).

There is no reason why therion should issue an 'accidentally created
station' warning about this.

> Surely it is reassuring to have Therion confirm to you that you have created a
> new station simply by equating to a non-existent station.  Usually this would
> not be an intended action, so the warning is appropriate and reassuring.

It's not non-existant - that's the point. It exists, but has no explicit position.

> I suggest this be added to the list of bugs to be fixed – ie ensure that
> no-survey does not supress ‘equate used to define new station’ warning.

I disagree. This is a rather odd use of 'no-survey', but it seems to me to be valid.

I wouldn't go to all this trouble just to make the names shorter, but
if one wants to do that I see nothing wrong with it.

It would perhaps be better to invent an 'alias' command for simple
alternative name of existing points, which is what Vasily actually
wants (except that Survex has already defined an alias command which
does something slightly different, so maybe it would have to be
altname or something).

Vasily - you might want to file this as a 'wishlist' item on the therion github.

Wookey
--
http://wookware.org/