[Therion] cavern exit code 256

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Apr 5 20:24:49 CEST 2017

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 12:53:25PM +0200, Benedikt Hallinger via Therion wrote:
> when compiling my project, i get an cavern error:
>
> >therion: warning -- cavern exit code -- 256
>
> Everything seems to be fine in the map, but what does this exit code mean?

256 is the number returned by system(), which runs another program.

If the bottom 8 bits are zero (as here) then the next 8 bits are the
exit status of cavern, so in this case 1 which means there was an error
(or multiple errors) while procesing the data.

If cavern had been killed by a signal (e.g. a segmentation fault) then
the bottom 8 bits would be (signal_number | 0x80), so on Linux you'd get
139 for a segmentation fault.

Cheers,
    Olly