[Therion] Metapost snippets out-source-able fromthconfig/layout?

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Tue May 10 22:13:13 CEST 2016

A Therion principle.  Write once, use many times.
Be cautious however and balance the 'centralised layout' idea against the
contrary advantage of having each mine or 'collection of mines' in self
contained folders that can be moved to different machines or environments
without breaking links to outsourced locations.

As most of 'my' cave systems are constrained to several square km in area, I
have a single master layout for those at the top folder level. If I want to
separate out just one cave from a sub folder and say give to someone else I
only have to copy the 'central layout file' to that folder and one or two
input statements to change to make the sub project work.
There is a balance between totally centralised and having each subproject
completely self contained if its folder is removed from its parent.
A choice.  See the links in my reply to Henry just now.

Bruce

> But as I just have finished the third therion mine
map, and have many more I need to work onto stacked up during the last
years (even such without shafts into them), I will outsource the layouts
of the maps I made so far at once. Next step.

> Best of all: if I combine both methods of linking stuff in, layouts and
metapost code, I can now change my shaft symbols easily and centrally.
This will make it very easy to re-view them very fast in many different
maps, easily scriptable, and even better, change them in all maps at once
if I made a workable version. Which may take a while, I fear.