[Therion] Can't Open Cavern Log File For Input

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 21 02:15:37 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 09:22:02AM +1200, Jenny wrote:
> Are your different machines running the same version of survex? I get
> that error too, but only when I am running the latest version of
> survex (1.2.23), if I go back to 1.2.20 then therion works fine. (This
> is also on windows 7).

Looking at the code in therion to find cavern, it looks in the registry
for the file associations which Survex's installer sets up.

This is the code therion uses:

    if (RegOpenKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,"survex.source\\shell\\Process\\command",&key) != ERROR_SUCCESS)

There are two issues with this:

One is that it only looks under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - if Survex was
installed a non-admin/power-user, then this setting will be under the
user classes instead (so it ought to also check HKEY_CURRENT_USER).
My guess is that Nick is install Survex this way, so this is the cause
of his problem.

The other is that it assumes that cavern is the program run here, but as
of Survex 1.2.23 .svx are set up to process using aven by default, so
this will find aven.exe not cavern.exe.  A simple workaround would be to
replace "aven" with "cavern" in the leafname of the value returned.
This is the issue Jenny's hitting.

Cheers,
    Olly