[Therion] Making potractors

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Jun 19 13:32:53 CEST 2015

What is the best way to make therion potractors?

Years ago Martin S sent me some really nice robust ones. Ones I have
tried to make since (by printing onto acetate and laminating the
result) do not work well because my laminating sheets only stick to
themselves, not the protractor material, so it opens up at the
baseline and delaminates.

Is it possible to print on one side of a laminating sheet then put two
sheets through the laminator to encapsulate, or will my laminating
sheet just melt in the laser printer? Maybe that could be done, but
printed in a (cold) inkjet printer, so long as no water ever got in?

There is also the matter of the correct 'floppiness/stiffness'.
MartinS were nice and stiff (but robust). Laminator/acetate ones are
rather floppy.

So, how does everyone else do it?

Also http://therion.speleo.sk/protractor/index.php only links to a
1:200 protractor. It would be useful to keep others available there and
save people editing the metafont.

Ah-ha - turns out that we have 1:250 and 1:500 versions carefully
preserved on the CUCC site!
http://expo.survex.com/templates/therion1_250.pdf
http://expo.survex.com/templates/therion1_500.pdf
And there are some US-units ones online. Collecting them would be a
useful little task.

Wookey
--
http://wookware.org/