[Therion] Embedding cross-sections based on bitmaps

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Wed Jan 28 17:15:37 CET 2015

The big problem here is scaling the cross section so it matches the scale of
the rest of your map.  The only way to deal with that is to draw them as
scraps in the map editor.

If you don't care about the scale, then it is easy to treat them as images.
Page 51 in the Therion Book.  Use the "map-image" command in the layout
section.

===========
layout mainmap

  <......>
  map-image 17 35 center DSC0001.JPG
  map-image 38 39 center DSC0002.JPG
  <.....>

endlayout
===========

Besides the scaling of the cross-sections themselves, there is another problem
with this method.  If the overall scale of the map changes, then the position
of the images will no longer be where you want them to go.  The two numbers in
the map-image command are percentages.  They start at the lower-left corner of
the map (0 0) and go to the upper-right corner (100 100).  "Center" refers to
the center of the image.

In my example the first image is at x=17% and y=35% relative to the overall
map.  Rotating the map or changing its scale (or indeed ANY change that affects
the size of the map) will make the images go somewhere else.

Yet another problem - How big are the images?  How much border is there around
them?  If they have a lot of border, then you will not be able to get them
close to the cave passage where they go.  The image and its border will be on
top and will overlay the main map.

It's a great deal of work, but I think the only way to really deal with it is
to build scraps of all the cross sections.  Cropping your image files and
setting their positions is also a great deal of work.

If all of your cross-section images are individual files (one cross section per
file), then I suggest you use some sort of image editor (InkScape?  GIMP?
Xara?) to build a single image file that contains 10 or 20 of them.  Then use
that as the background image when building the scraps.

Bill Gee