[Therion] metapost error on Windows7

Footleg drfootleg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:09:04 CEST 2014

I have never seen this locking during compile, apart from PDF files. I
am using Therion extensively on Windows.

One case we found on Windows which had us stumped on a training course
we ran was that one Windows user found his PDF file was locked even
after apparently closing the Adobe reader. It turned out to be because
he had file previews turned on in Windows Explorer so it was
generating a rendering of all PDF files in the open explorer Window
and that used the Adobe Reader under the hood so the files were still
locked. Turning off previews in Explorer sorted that one out.

For those who run Therion on Windows and have not already seen the PDF
viewer tip on the wiki, I use Sumatra PDF reader which is the only
reader I have found on Windows which does not lock the PDF file when
it is open in the reader, and that renders the PDF correctly as well.
Using Sumatra I can keep the PDF window open and each time I recompile
my project the PDF display refreshes automatically which is really
handy.

Footleg