[Therion] PDA

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Sun Oct 12 23:17:39 CEST 2014

+++ Markus Boldt [2014-10-12 17:05 +0200]:
> Hi all,
> slowly the time goes to end, there we can buy cheap "old" PDA with
> Winmobile. Pockettopo works only on Win platform and small cheap devices
> with Windows as OS are seldom. And our devices in use are growing older.
> What do you all use? What alternatives are possible. I know about some so
> called APPS for Android, but do they work?

I saw a demo of an app at Hidden Earth which is essentially a
re-implementation of pockettopo on android. The core drawing part is
done, as is data transmission over bluetooth. It needs some file
save/read code to be useful. Andrew knows the name of the fellow doing
it - I've forgotten.

Having an android app with that functionality will give us a lot more
choice of hardware.

There is already topodroid, but I understand it is a lot more like
xtherion-lite than pockettopo, which is OK if your cave is warm and
you like surveying very slowly, but for many situations the very
simple lines-only/no metadata drawing style of pockettopo makes a lot
of sense.

I am certainly very keen to see a free software implementation of
pockettopo. It might even make me buy an android device :-)

Wookey
--
http://wookware.org/