[Therion] Multiple elevation maps

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Wed Nov 12 21:14:35 CET 2014

Hi Martin

Line 41 in MillCreekCave.th names the first elevation scrap in the first of the
two elevation maps.

==================
map MainPlan -title "Mill Creek Cave (PUL-012) - Plan View"
# Main survey scraps
  Entrance1
  EntranceConnector
  Entrance2
  TJunction1
  TJunction2
  TJunction3
endmap

map MainPassageProfile -projection elevation
  Elevation1   <<== Line 41
  Elevation2
  Elevation3
  Elevation4
  Elevation5
  Elevation6
endmap

map CPassageProfile -projection elevation
  ElevationB1-C2
  ElevationC2-C5
  ElevationC5-C6
  ElevationC6-C7
  ElevationC7-C8
  ElevationC8-C9
  ElevationC9-C11
endmap
=================

The scrap is defined like this in the th2 file:

scrap Elevation1 -projection [elevation 330 deg] -scale [0 0 1600 0 0.0 0.0
40.64 0.0 ft]

And the select/export section from the thconfig file is this:

===============
# Entrance passage elevations
select MainPassageProfile at MillCreekCave
export map -proj [elevation 330 deg ] -layout profilemap -o
MillCreekCaveElevation1.pdf

# C Passage elevations
select CPassageProfile at MillCreekCave
export map -proj [elevation 270 deg ] -layout profilemap -o
MillCreekCaveElevation2.pdf

# Main map
select MainPlan at MillCreekCave
export map -proj plan -layout mainmap -o MillCreekCave.pdf
=================

I have a thought on this ... The main passage of this cave starts out going
northeast, then gradually bends to the east.  I chose an angle of 330 degrees
because that would give me approximately an orthogonal view, as if I were
standing off to the right of the passage to look at it.  The second passage
goes almost straight north, so a view angle of 270 degrees gives the same
orthogonal view.

If the passage were a train heading northeast and I were standing on the
right-hand side of the tracks, my best view of the train would be on an angle
of about 330 degrees.

Is that the wrong way to choose those angles?

Thanks - Bill Gee