[Therion] How to use user-defined symbols

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Tue Feb 4 07:07:42 CET 2014

>two followup questions:

>1) The map legend labels the symbol as "point u:stalagmaflat_AMER".  I
tried to use a text line in the thconfig file, but it has no apparent
effect.  If I put it inside the layout/endlayout pair, therion throws an
error.  If I put it outside the layout/endlayout section, then no error -
and no change.

It needs to go in the th-config outside of a layout.  See page 48 of Therion
Book on 'text' translations.  You probably need to define a legend entry as
well.  Here is an example I use towards the end of my custom symbol rope
definition metapost...

initsymbol("l_u_rope")

def l_u_rope_legend =
	l_u_rope(((.2,.2) -- (.8,.8)) inscale)
enddef;
endcode
#Need to add next line to all thconfig files to define legend text
text en "line u:rope" "rope" #text to appear in legend

>2) It would be handy to split the Metapost code out to an include file.  I
tried to use both source and input to read a file, but therion did not like
them.  Is there a way to do this?

>The only example I found in the Wiki has the entire layout section in a
separate file.  I just want to split the Metapost code out.

You should use 'input' defined in or via your th-config, and you will need
to have at least the metapost encapsulated in a 'code metapost' 'endcode'
block I expect.  I have never included less than a whole 'layout' 'end
layout' in one file but see no reason why it would work.  I suggest if you
are having trouble, start with all explicitly typed in a th-config, then
once you have that working, progressively split out portions into an
'included' file.  If you have syntax correct, it should work just the same.