[Therion] 3d Animation from Therion

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Oct 11 20:37:09 CEST 2013

+++ Footleg [2013-10-11 08:24 +0100]:
>    I used the vrml export from Loch to produce a 3D model file which was
>    suitable to get 3D printed. The article about it (written by Mike Bedford,
>    who got the printing done) is in the latest issue of Descent magazine. I
>    could import that model file into other 3D modelling software, so perhaps
>    there is an application out there which can convert it?

'meshlab' looks like a good tool for doing this
http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ (already packaged in Debian). I
expect blender can too, but some goolgeing suggests that this needs
extra scripts.

The wavefront .obj file seems a fairly straightforward format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file#File_format

But it only represents surfaces so far as I can see, not lines. So we
can export terrain and volumes, but not plain surveys (without faking
survey lines into cylinders).

It does look like this would be a useful format to output. Or teach
meshlab to read/write .3D and/or lox.

Do Bruces' mates know that Aven can export a video file directly,
animating a survey? However that can only have a mesh surface (as
generated by terraintool) currently, which may or may not be 'high
quality' enough for their purposes.

Wookey
--
http://wookware.org/