[Therion] Inkscape

Bruce bruce at tomo.co.nz
Wed Jan 11 19:48:39 CET 2012

As someone who has no experience with svg and inkscape I am a little
confused (although probably quite slow on the uptake).

I gather from the posts that Inkscape with the help of Thomas' plugin helps;
1. convert existing electronic vector cave drawings to therion scraps (and
hence any therion output once you have converted the survey or at least two
point coordinates)
2. allow therion centrelines and scraps to be parsed to inkscape and back to
therion

So this means that inkscape can be used as a slightly more wysiwyg editor
than xtherion.  I'm assuming an easier to use more intuitive interface as
well.

I am trying to discern the significance of Martins picture4 and picture5
that appear to represent the same passage.
Are they Inkscape drawings before parsing to therion?
Are they therion output svg files with two different symbol sets?
Is one an inkscape drawing as input and one the same drawing after being
modified or morphed by therion?

I am wondering if there is more to it than the two points above.

Could therion be thought of as an editor (or manager/modifier) for
inkscape/svg drawings? Ie The 'primary' drawing is done in inkscape/svg
using fancy inkscape symbols including some that have no equivalent in
therion, and therion is just used to attach a survey centreline to allow the
original inkscape drawing to be morphed? (and of course add all those other
therion data management and output formats to the inkscape cave project).
And not necessarily having to use metapost code to define symbol appearance?

Or not?